Basic Permissions Consultation Package ($49)
- 30-minute Skype/Google Hangout session or telephone consultation to talk through your particular permissions issue
- unlimited email follow-up with regard to the issue brought up in the consultation session
For all other inquiries, please get started by filling out the contact form below:
I have over seven years of experience working on book and archive projects and navigating the use and attribution of copyrighted material. In addition to working with Jane Friedman (The Business of Being a Writer, forthcoming in 2017), I have also worked with Charles Marsh (author of Strange Glory: A Life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer (2014)) and Vanessa L. Ochs (author of a “biography” of the Passover Haggadah, which will be part of a series of “biographies” of canonical texts to be published by Princeton University Press).
What I can do:
- get to know your particular permissions issues related to your work
- help you identify content that is not protected by copyright (that is free to use)
- navigate fair use guidelines so that you are able to make informed decisions about what to use and whether (or not) to seek permissions
- help you seek permissions for particular content, if you choose to go that route
- help you determine when it is necessary to hire a copyright attorney
I also have extensive experience in citation (footnotes/endnotes) and expertise in using Zotero to set up reference libraries. I have a consultation package or you can fill out the form below to contact me for an estimate on larger permissions projects, projects involving attribution, and/or bibliographies.
Disclaimer: I am not a copyright attorney, and I cannot guarantee that my advice will prevent you from being sued for using someone else's copyrighted content.
Praise for my work
Kelly was indispensable in her organization and attention to detail with my book project for the University of Chicago. She had a large amount of material to review and manage, lots of sources to research and cite, and was able to tackle it all while needing very little guidance from me. Beyond that, she also compiled chapter abstracts and keywords, and went back through my work multiple times as changes were made. She was invaluable.
I am a new author with a finished and edited manuscript. When my editor told me that I had to start writing permission letters for the 72 endnotes I included in my book, I called Kelly for wisdom. Her insight was very helpful and her email accessibility comforting. It's like a heavy weight of concern was lifted off my shoulders after our consultation. Thank you, Kelly!
I felt comfortable with Kelly as soon as I heard her voice in our phone consultation. She was professional, friendly, and knowledgeable. I appreciated the clarification and specific suggestions in her follow up email.